Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fathers Day

I had a bit of alone time with Euan today, this has been a bit of a novelty of late. George had taken Aoife to ballet class and Finn was down for his afternoon siesta after his morning fiesta.
I was at the benchtop chopping up veggies for dinner and Euan was to my left on a chair watching and asking questions about magnets and how they work. A bloody nightmare that one. Anyway I digress. He stopped suddenly and I could visibly see him stiffen. He slowly slipped from the chair, head forward, but surreptitiously aware of my every move. He then came about face and looked at me with an innocent little expression, his nose was level with the workbench and he was directly in front of me. He was giving me an intent stare but he still furnished the angelic smile. I noticed his hands moving up cautiously to a flat brown paperbag in the middle of the bench. He put his hand on the bag and slowley moved it towards himself. Now, my first impression was there was something yummy in there he shouldn't be eating at this stage of the day and especially while I was chopping veg for dinner. So I asked him "are you hungry mate?" "No I'm good Dad" The bag kept slipping away. "Did you make something yummy at Kinder today?" I asked nodding at the bag. "No, Dad" the bag was over the edge and out of sight now. "Whats in the bag Euan" I stopped chopping and smiled (I was still holding the knife mind).
His eyes went up "umm" his eyes went down "aaah" they shifted to the right "wellll" then all of a sudden the eyes cleared, the shoulders straightened and he informed me confidently and I think with a pinch of defiance "It's just something I made for Mommy today at Kinder". He smiled the 'conversation is over smile' turned around and took a step. While this was happening the penny had dropped inside my noggin. "~~~Father's Day aaah I see~~~~". I wasn't about to let him off the hook yet, I was curious to see how this would turn out if I turned the screw just a little bit more. He was doing so well after all. "Mate, that was very nice" a short silence for effect "give me a look would you, please" He turned around and our eyes met (he couldn't hear it, but I could hear spagetti western music) He started to walk towards me but he stopped. "No, I better put it away before it gets damaged its just a drawing" he spat it out and ran to the bedroom before I could prolong the torture. He did well. When he came back out he looked somewhat pleased with himself. He hopped back on the chair and gave me a calm smile. I kissed his head and said "She will love it Euey, we love it when our kids make things for us, we get really happy" he smiled again, this time it was the 'fooled you dude' grin.

There is a follow up to this story see George's blog

No comments: